This is an old revision of the document!
Netvibes Premium for Team gets all the Premium features.
Adding to this, it has all features dedicated for a team use.
The NPD Manager lets you manage your team, setups some features and access to the master account of your NPD (where you can edit the content of your NPD). It can be accessed at the following address: http://manager.netvibes.com/
To login to the NPD Manager, simply enter your Netvibes login information (email and password) and click on the Login button.
The dashboards screen is the central place to manage all your dashboards. When you log in to the NPD Manager, you'll be presented with a summary of all dashboards you currently have permissions on.
Note: if you are Admin on only one dashboard, you'll be automatically redirected to its details page (setup).
- Connect will redirect you to the master dashboard.
- Setup (for Admin only) will redirect you to the details page.
Users is the term used to describe those who have permissions on a specific dashboard.
Authorization to access your NPD can be granted to an existing user.
There are 4 user roles:
- subscriber: he has a private copy of the NPD, he can read, search for content and tag.
- analyst: he inherits subscriber permissions, plus, and he can analyse on his private copy.
- publisher: he inherits analyst permissions, plus, he can edit the content of the master dashboard.
- admin: he inherits publisher permissions, plus, he can manage NPD settings.
Check the Manage your tags tutorial to see how Tags, Sentiments, Suggestions, Blacklists and Export sections work.
As well as the iframe implementation, Netvibes also supports custom DNS. In this implementation, the whole dashboard is served from the partner (sub)domain.
- Enter your host name in the “host” field ( e.g: “www.mysitename.com”)
- Ask the sysadmin of your domain to add a DNS entry to your zone
www.mysitename.com IN CNAME customdns.netvibesbusiness.com
- Ask the Support to add this configuration on Netvibes side.
- Once it is done, Custom DNS has to be activate on manager side.
A guest pass allows you to easily share dashboards to selected users, without the need to create user accounts.
Create Guest Pass
Go to the Guest Pass menu of your dashboard. Click on Create Guest Pass: it will generate 2 URLs.
- The 1st one is the guest pass to the dynamic dashboard.
- The 2nd one is a read only version of your dashboard.
You can choose to add a password to your guest pass: when users enter the URL of the guest pass, they will be asked for it. When accessing a password protected guest pass, the name field should be left blank, only the password should be entered.
That password can be found in the NPD manager if you forget it: just mouse-over the lock in the guest pass you protected.
Delete Guest Pass
Deleting a guest pass will revoke access from all of those users who accessed the dashboard using that particular guest pass.
To delete a guest pass, select the one you want to delete in the dropdown menu. Click Delete Guest Pass.
By default, the dashboard can be accessed at http://username.netvibesbusiness.com. There are also options to iframe the dashboard within your site, or use DNS to point your hostname to the dashboard.
In the NPD manager, the main URL on your site where the dashboard will be accessed should be entered under “Iframe” in the “Iframe URL” field. e.g. http://www.yoursite.com/netvibes
There are two methods to integrate the iframe on your site. A simple one, which is what most partners need to set up their dashboard, and a more advanced method which allows rss feeds from external sources to be added directly to the dashboard by users. The simple method is to create a page which contains an iframe of the following form:
<iframe height="1300" frameborder=0 border=0 scrolling="no" src="http://www.netvibes.com/partner/premium.php?universe=[ username ]" width="100%" name="nvFrame" id="nvFrame"></iframe>
Replace [ username ] with the username which can be found in the main URL: username.netvibesbusines.com.
To create links to add rss feeds directly to the dashboard use the following url:
[url of dashboard, i.e. page that hosts iframe]?subscribe=[url of rss feed]
Dynamic iframe resizing
Since the dashboard is customizable by the user, it is necessary to resize the height of the iframe to match the height of the content. For this functionality to work, the following requirements must be followed:
The iframe has to have the attribute: id=”nvFrame”
A file called resize.html is provided by Netvibes that must be hosted on the same domain as the iframe page. This script dynamically resizes the iframe to match the height of the dashboard.
The URL of the resize file should be entered in the NPD manager under “Iframe” in the “Iframe URL” field.
The message bar is a way to push an announcement to users of the dashboard.
It will display a yellow bar containing a message at the top of all users' dashboards. Users can dismiss the message and it will not be displayed again until a new message is set in the NPD manager.
The main option screen displays the active message, as well as those that have been created in the past.
Click on the “Add a new message” button (1) to create your first message bar.
In the creation screen:
- Enter a name. (2)
- Enter the message you want to display to your user. (3)
- Let the message inactive or program it for a specific period. (4)
- Select the start (5) and end (6) date when your message will be active.
- Select your timezone. (7)
- Choose your target. (8)
Once you finish to ill the form, click on the “Configure Messagebar” (9) button to validate it.
You will see appear a preview of your message.
You can edit it at anytime.
If you come back to the previous screen, you will see a summary of your new message.
You can see the publication date (10), the target (11), and if it is currently active or not (12).
You can preview it (15), edit it (13), or delete it (14) at anytime.
Your subscribers will see it on their NPD copy:
With the optional Publishing feature, the dashboard has the ability to push updates to subscribers.
When the feature is enabled, a control panel is displayed when the dashboard is being edited by the administrator.
When users visit their dashboards, updates will appear from them.
The following changes are handled by push publishing:
- New apps
- New tabs
- New theme
- Page title changes
Please note that editing an existing app or tab (e.g. repositioning, changing the title or the preferences) is not handled by push publishing and these changes will only be seen by new users. This is to avoid conflicts with edits users have made to their own dashboards.
This section allows you to create and send a customized newsletter (email) to your users, with content from your master dashboard.
Click on the “Add a Pushmail” button to start the procedure. (1)
Fill in the details to configure your Pushmail.
- Enter the subject of the email. Keep it relevant and non-spammy to avoid spam filters. (2)
- Enter the sender name. This is who your emails will come from. Use something they'll instantly recognize, like your company name. (3)
- Enter the sender email address. This can be considered as a reply-to email. Any reply will go to this email address. (4)
- Add an URL if you want the banner image links to it. Users will be redirected when clicking on it. (5)
- Enter a text that will be displayed just under the banner. (6)
- Enter a text that will be display just above the footer. (7)
- Items link should redirect user to: either “article URL” (to the article website) or “NPD URL” (to the article on the dashboard). (8)
- Send pushmail to either NPD subscribers or a custom email list (a new field will appear in which you can specify email addresses, coma separated). (9)
- Specify how often the newsletter should be sent and at what time. (10)
- Choose a theme from all Pushmail themes you have created for this NPD, or the Netvibes default one. (11)
- Select apps (from tabs) you want to be displayed in the Pushmail. For each Articles app, select the number of articles to displayed. (12)
- Click on “deactivated” to turn off the Pushmail or on “Activated” to turn in on. (13)
- Click on “Configure Pushmail” button to create the Pushmail or apply changes on it. (14)
You can then decide to send a test email by filling the box with an email address and click on “Send”.
This is where it happens if you want to have a custom Pushmail theme.
Click on the “Add a theme” button to start the procedure.
Then, fill in the details to configure your Pushmail theme.
- Enter a name for this new theme. (1)
- You can choose to have an image banner or not. (2)
- You can choose to display the Pushmail subject or not. (3)
- You can choose to display social share on each article or not. Services displayed depend on the one selected in the Share settings page . (4)
- You can choose to display a link to view the Pushmail on a browser or not. It will add this sentence on top of the Pushmail: “Having trouble viewing Newsletter? View Online”. (5)
- You can choose to display enclosures (images attached to feed's item) or not. (6)
Once you have choose all elements you want to be displayed on the Pushmail, you can customize it by clicking on each green bubble next to them. (7)
Here, on the header settings, you can edit the background color, the header image, the subject and the description.
To save all your theme changes, do not forget to click on the “Save” button at the bottom of the page. (8)
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Single sign on allows an existing user management system to be integrated with the dashboard. User accounts can be created and accessed based on their session with a separate system. Users can access their dashboard account seamlessly without having to log in a second time.
The behaviour for users is as follows:
- When a new user visits the dashboard, a new Netvibes account, based on their email address, is created for them. The account is created on the fly and they are automatically logged in and presented with the dashboard. There is no interaction required by the user.
- Existing Netvibes users are asked if they wish to link their existing Netvibes account with the new dashboard. On their successful authentication and approval, they are automatically logged in and the dashboard is added to their “Dashboards” list.
The iframe calls a different script which contains several additional pieces of information: the current timestamp, private and public keys, the email of the user who is logged in and a hash of these items. It requires some logic (generating the timestamp, sha1 hashing, accessing the user's email address) on the partner's site to generate this url with the relevant pieces of information.
The same script is called regardless of whether the user is, or is not, an existing Netvibes user. Based on the user_email parameter, the user is either logged into their existing account or a new account is created for them on the fly.
On the Single Sign-On menu in the manager, check the “SSO Npd Enabled” option (1).
The public and private keys for the dashboard, which are used in the url, can be generated here (2).
An example of the url that should be called in the iframe (please note that all keys are samples and will not work for demo purposes):
http://www.netvibes.com/partner/premium.php?universe=[ username ]&api_key=af8adac8807092b1e1e21662dda56142f3aa5b99×email@example.com&sign=a8e50e34bd60206ac8a06b60b05bdc1f8a7609f6
The url is constructed using the following parameters:
Public key provided by Netvibes.
A UNIX timestamp of 10 digits reflecting the current UTC time e.g. generated with time() method in PHP
The email address identifying the user to be logged into Netvibes
The private key provided by Netvibes. This is not used in the final url but is used to construct the sign value.
The sign value is a SHA1 hash function of all strings and values alphabetically sorted plus the private key.
I.e. in PHP:
Using the sample data in the example, the following would be used in PHP:
With a resulting value of:
It is very important that the construction of the sign value is done on the server side so as not to expose the private key or message used in the hash.
AutoSave saves all your dashboard's items - regardless of their quantity per source - for a defined period of time. AutoSaved items will remain available on your dashboard even if their original source has been deleted from the web.
The defined period of time depends on your Netvibes account type. Once a source reaches its time limit, its oldest articles are deleted to make way for the newest articles (FIFO system). The periods of time are defined as follows:
For Basic users:
- If a source publishes a new item every 8 or more hours, the source's items remain available on the dashboard for 90 days.
- If a source publishes a new item every hour or so, the source's items remain available for 30 days.
- If a source publishes a new item approximately every 15 minutes, the source's items remain available for 7 days.
- If a source publishes a new item every 15 minutes, the source's items remain available for 1 day.
By default, Premium users' items are saved for 3 rolling months regardless of the publishing frequency for up to a maximum of 5,000 different sources. Premium for Team users can purchase the following extension packages to increase their AutoSave's capabilities:
- 12 rolling months up to a maximum of 5,000 different sources
- 12 rolling months up to a maximum of 25,000 different sources
- 12 rolling months up to a maximum of 100,000 different sources